Monday, September 8, 2014

Goals of BCM

Hello there!

My name is Matthew Nelson and I am a student at Western Michigan University's Haworth College of Business. I am making this blog post in accordance with the requirements of my Integrated Communication in Business course. In doing so, I hope to hone my skills in professionally communicating with co-workers or managers in a professional setting through the medium of writing.

Funny enough, I am also taking a minor in Rhetoric in Writing Studies, which is essentially the study of how to use discourse to effectively get messages across to one's desired audience. Thus, I already have academic experience in most of the course learning goals listed in the class syllabus. However, I still anticipate working hard in class and reading the supplementary reading material in order to hone my writing skills and keep more complex ideas fresh in my head.

I also hope to get hired for an internship with a major accounting firm next Winter semester. Doing so will require me to communicate with recruiters and potential employers in a manner that displays professionalism as well as competence. Thus, I am especially excited about the section of the course going over how to properly prepare a resume and cover letter.

As I enter the beginning of Integrated Communication in Business, I am excited to develop writing skills, both old and new, and learning how to apply them in a way that better prepares me for the business world. Although the task is daunting, I know that with hard work and dedication, I can grow as a writer as well as a potential employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment